Identity Theft Facts & Tips
It's estimated that in this country, a person becomes a victim of identity theft every two seconds. Remember that under no circumstances will a representative from Rivers Edge Bank ask you to verify your personal or bank account information from an unsolicited call, over the internet or via email. If you receive a suspicious call or email, be cautious and report it to us at any one of our branches:
- Bridgewater (605) 729-2582
- Marion (605) 648-3683
- Parker (605) 297-3683
- Canova (605) 523-2221
- Hawarden (712) 551-1005
- Howard (605) 772-4561
The US Government has compiled this list of tips to help you avoid falling victim to identity theft.
- Keep your social security number safe. Don't carry your card in your wallet or write it on your checks.
- If you receive a call, email or letter you did not request that asks for credit card numbers, bank account numbers or your personal information such as your birthdate, social security number, etc., don't respond.
- When you type in a password on a computer or PIN number at the ATM, shield the keypad from "shoulder surfers."
- Collect your mail promptly. If you're going to be out of town, ask the Post Office to hold your mail until you return.
- Contact the sender if your bills or financial statements are late. This means you should pay close attention to billing cycles.
- Check your accounts daily and compare your receipts to the transactions on your accounts. This is the best way to catch unauthorized transactions.
- Shred any old receipts, credit offers, account statements or expired credit cards. Doing so can prevent "dumpster divers" from accessing your information.
- Store your personal information in a safe place at home or at work.
- Install firewalls or virus protection on your home computer.
- "password" or "123456" are NOT secure passwords. Set up passwords that would be difficult for someone to guess and use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Monitor your credit. You are entitled to receive a free credit report once every 12 months. Click here to lean more.
Fraud and Scam Alerts
Lost or Stolen Shazam Card?
If you lose your Shazam Debit card:
- Report the lost or stolen card right away to your local Rivers Edge Bank location.
- If your card is lost or stolen after hours, call 1 (800) 383-8000.